Wednesday 2 February 2011

Candlemass

"And thine own soul a sword shall pierce"

Last year in the south of France I took part in procession for the village feast day - the Sorrows of Our Lady - which is where I took this photograph. I was reminded of this by the Gospel for today's feast of Candlemass. This evening at 7pm we are blessing candles and celebrating Mass (OF - but mostly in Latin and sung propers as well as hymns).

A lovely Feast day as Christmastide finally draws to its close.

Incidentally, here is wider view of the charming little church. Note that Mass is ad orientem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father, this is indeed a very charming church, but do you write where in France it is found? I should like to know, so as to be able to visit it one day myself.

Fr Simon Henry said...

The village is Grimaud, in the hills near St Tropez.