Wednesday 27 October 2010

The Scarlet and the Black!

When I was in Rome last week I went into Gamarelli's to get one or two things (my old biretta is worn out through constant use!). On the Tuesday morning I asked how long I would have to wait for an order for a new cassock, only to be told me that it would depend on what announcements the Holy Father made. When I went in again on Friday the Holy Father had indeed named 24 new Cardinals (although none from these islands) and orders for lower clerics were all on hold. The window display had been changed to one full of all the kit a new cardinal could need and the place was awash with yards and yards of red silk being prepared for new cassocks and ferraiolone. However, although the staff were busy putting together gift parcels for the newly-named cardinals, Roberto was good enough to set aside a few moments to see to my modest puchases! It seems that Gamarelli makes some distinction between personages but won't completely ingnore a good customer!

1 comment:

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Pleased they sorted you out!