Monday 27 September 2010

Look-a-like

I saw some photos of Fr Michael Brown's church at St Mary's, Forest Hall. I was struck by the resemblance of the church to my former parish of St Cuthbert's in Wigan. The architects there were Greenhalgh and Williams. Like me, it seems Fr Brown has recognised the need for some colour and focus in a vast church (St Cuthbert's seated 600 and was a very tall building). He has done this with a Pantokrator over the High Altar. At St Cuthbert's we made use of strong colour, stenciling and statues (including St John & Our Lady at the foot of the cross and adoring angels either side of the High Altar. (Since my departure from Wigan, the church has had a modernist makeover, so if you happen to be in the area and go to Mass there, you won't see anything like what is in the photos below). You can view his blog here:
http://forestmurmurs.blogspot.com/

St Mary's - Forest Hall (above)


St Cuthbert's - Wigan

No comments: